CHECK OUT THE MASTER CALENDAR!
GET DETAILS ON EVENTS AND RSVP BELOW
Please visit www.awakenthegreatness.org to complete your registration for this FREE event.
South LA to Host First-Ever CicLAvia on December 7
Food and Cultural Highlights Abound between Leimert Park and Historic Central Ave.
CicLAvia – South LA for the first time will bring America’s premier car-free event into a part of Los Angeles that saw the birth of West Coast jazz, is the home to the space shuttle Endeavor and has a rich array of arts and cuisine. Participants will enjoy walking, biking and using other alternative transportation as they connect with businesses, outdoor exercise and each other.
CicLAvia – South LA falls on the 40th anniversary of the first ciclovía in Bogota, Colombia – the model that has inspired hundreds of open streets events around the world. CicLAvia is proud to have ciclovía founder Jaime Ortiz attend as a VIP guest for CicLAvia – South LA. In addition, a grant from the Los Angeles Department of Cultural Affairs will showcase programming from multiple South LA cultural institutions (details TBA).
CicLAvia will have four hubs along the route featuring information and merchandise, food trucks, free bike repair, bike parking, free water stations, first aid, restrooms and activities, including:
Central Avenue Hub:
- Kid's Zone: featuring the Mobile Mural Lab, kids bike safety skills course and giveaways
- Jazz Park Hub - Pedestrian zone - Kick-off ceremony
- Los Angeles City Council District 9 Constituent Center will host Community
- Health Council’s health pavilion and booths from the Central Ave Farmers Market
- Music from the Central Avenue Jazz festival
- Tours of the Dunbar hotel
Exposition Park Hub
- Expo Center will Celebrate its 10th Anniversary and host their annual Winter Festival in collaboration with the California African American Museum’s Target Sundays (http://www.caamuseum.org/web_pages/target_sundays.htm). The hub will feature musical programming, pictures with Santa Claus, snow on the Soboroff Sports Field and food demos from the CSU Expo mini-farm
Leimert Park Hub
- Arts and entertainment by the Leimert Park Village community featuring multiple venues showcasing art and culture. Please note that events in Leimert Park Village will be extended to 7:00 pm
WHEN: Sunday, December 7, 2014, 9:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m.
WHERE: CicLAvia – South LA will run along Martin Luther King Boulevard, including anchors at Leimert Park and along Central Avenue. A route map can be downloaded here.
Visit www.ciclavia.org/events for information about safety, rules of the road and business participation.
CicLAvia is a 501 (c) 3 nonprofit organization. CicLAvia catalyzes vibrant public spaces, active transportation and good health through car-free streets. CicLAvia engages with people to transform our relationship with our communities and with each other. With the full support of Metro, local governments, Los Angeles Mayor Eric Garcetti, the Los Angeles City Council, Police Department, Fire Department, Department of Transportation, the Department of Water and Power, and the Department of Parks and Recreation, CicLAvia is an innovative model for creating new public space and enriching civic life. Partners include Metro, the City of Los Angeles, the Wasserman Foundation and an Anonymous benefactor.
Supporters include the Annenberg Foundation, Ralph M. Parsons Foundation, Rosenthal Family Foundation, Los Angeles County Department of Public Health, Durfee Foundation and LA 2050. Sponsors include Los Angeles County Department of Water and Power, Roth Family Foundation, Gavina Coffee, Clif Bar, Southern California Gas Company, the Laemmle Charitable Foundation, Tern Bicycles, Indie Printing and Los Angeles County Bicycle Coalition. Media Sponsors include The Los Angeles Times and Laemmle Theatres.
Media Contact: Robert Gard, Director of Communications, email@example.com, 213.355.850